1 (12-ounce) bottle stout
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder (Hershey’s Special Dark)
2 cups granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
12 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate; chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
~top of the cupcake
Chopped chocolate covered pretzel twists
Fine grain sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the stout, milk, vegetable oil & vanilla.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add in the sour cream and mix.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the stout mixture.
5. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool completely on wire rack.
1. Place chocolate in a large heat safe bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat heavy cream over medium heat until it just begins to boil.
3. Immediately pour hot cream over chocolate and let it sit for five minutes.
4. Begin stirring the cream with a wooden spoon. Mix cream and chocolate together. Allow your ganache to cool for 10- 15 minutes then stir in vanilla. Let ganache sit at room temperature for another 10 minutes before topping cupcakes.
~frosting your cupcake
Invert the top of the cupcake into the bowl of cooled ganache, use a spoon or spatula to spread evenly. Finish cupcakes with chopped chocolate covered pretzels and a tiny pinch of fine grain sea salt.
It’s a great day at the Cottage