Gingerbread Muffins with Sweet Lemon Glaze
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
Sweet Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1-2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450F. Spray 6 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the molasses and butter on high for about 1 minute in the microwave. Stir until thoroughly mixed together. In a second bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, egg, sour cream, and milk. Pour into the butter molasses mixture and whisk until everything is incorporated. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Batter will be very thick and lumpy.
- Fill your muffin tins to the very top and bake for 5 minutes at 450F. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the temperature down to 375F and continue to bake for about 18~20 more minutes. Muffins are finished when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- As the muffins cool, prepare your lemon glaze by mixing all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Dip muffin tops into the glaze.
It’s a great day at the Cottage!